Monday 20 February 2017

Start The Week: Contemporary Abstract Drawing: Reflections and The Three Johns.

Well here we are at the start of a new week and here are some drawings.


Above is a drawing that was started the night before last and finished in my drawing session last night and yet again I am happy with it and the way it fits in my altered book. I draw most evenings and manage between 2 and 4 hours. I do imagine how much I would get done if I did an 8 hour day but that luxury doesn't look anywhere near at this point in time although I have vowed to get my work more out there this year. I feel happy with most if not all of my work in the last year or two. One of the things that might help this year is that I have been offered space in Art Spread's next artist guide, I have a bit of work to do resizing some of the files of my drawings for them, a must to be done in the next day or two.


Above is the drawing that I started and completed yesterday and it mixes up some themes and I really like it, very pleased with the idea, the execution the choice of pens and above all what it looks like.


Above is a slightly blurry picture of a drawing I started last night but will finish when I get drawing later.


Monday morning starts as it does nearly every week with the drawing class at Barnoon Workshop led by my wife Zoe Eaton. As I have said before, only in the eighteen months or so I have been drawing 'real' things and have found it a great delight attending and learning and today was about getting 3d shape and highlights working and at the top of the vase is the best ellipse I have ever done. It is very interesting to do these things and a far cry from my abstract work.



Earlier I found this ticket for The Three Johns and as my hazy memory serves me..... One of the best Johns gig I had been too. I believe the support was from Marc Riley and The Creepers giving it their best, storming version of Babies On Fire. The Johns came on in a magical mayhem of drunken contankerous fiest all were performing their heats out and after a blistering set announced that this was 'the last tour by 'the three singing johns' 6 encores later they were gone. We really thought that was the last we would see of them. A few months later in the NME we saw the dates for the next tour. Oh what funny boys you were and still are, John Hyatt, Jon Langford and Philip Brennan....?  It was a great night, I sometimes wonder whether you remember it........?
 
I am off to draw in my book. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment